Friday, October 17, 2008

Welcome to Anita and Thread!

Having been intrigued by blogs for a long time...and particularly to those devoted to all things cross stitch related, I have taken a leap of faith and created this blog: Anita and Thread. My name is Kristina, so you may wonder how I came up with my blog's name.

When I was a little girl, I had the best gramma and grampa in the world. They were Anita and Fred Rich, and they lived in a darling colonial-red cape cod style house in Rhode Island. They loved me, encouraged me, gave me a love for all things New England including its history, food, and landscape, came to all my soccer games and dance performaces and choir recitals...ad infinitum. My grandmother in particular gave me a love of books (she was a librarian) and colonial history (she was a Colonial Dame). She was also an avid needlepoint enthusiast. Through her example, I have discovered my own ardent passion for it's close relative, cross stitch. My grandparents are long gone now, but so much of what Gramma and Grampa loved has found a permanent place in my heart.

Anita and Fred acquired a few nicknames over the years, given by close friends and relatives, including "Pudge and Moose" and, less obscurely, Needle and Thread. Needle (Anita) and Thread (Fred) was a favorite monicher given to them by their friend, Harriet from New Hampshire. I think there must be several Needle And Thread blogs out there already (after all, I have arrived very late to this blogging party), so I decided to mix it up a bit. Anita is also my oldest daughter's middle name, so I will win a few brownie points with her.

And so in closing, this blog is named in honor of a very special pair who gave my life an idyllic start, and of whom I still think almost daily.

1 comment:

Cathy B said...

Welcome to the blogging world Kristina! I enjoyed reading your story about your Gramma and Grandpa. What a nice way to honor them.

Looking forward to seeing some stitching pictures from you in the near future!